Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bible Study in the Book of Revelation #3...

Today's sharing relates to Rev. 21:26-27 which is part of Seminar 5 of THE VISION OF HIS GLORY: Finding Hope Through the Revelation of Jesus Christ by Anne Graham Lotz. Prior to these two verses in Revelation 21, there is a vivid description of Heaven. Scripture paints a glorious word picture of this place which is being prepared for those who will go there. The verses I'm focusing on say:
26 The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it[heaven].
27 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life.
I'm not a theologian but when I read that the "glory and honor of the nations" will be brought into heaven, I think that is a reference to the Great Multitude mentioned in Rev. 7:9 "there...was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb." The multitude are believers - i.e. the glory and honor - of all nations. Verse 27 tells us that no one who is shameful or deceitful will enter heaven but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life. This verse confronts me again with the truth that not all humanity will enter heaven - some will and some won't. It's imperative that one's name be in the Lamb's book of life in order to enter heaven. Pondering these verses has reminded me of the importance of communicating God's truth about these matters to those in my realm of relationships and contacts.

I know that is my assignment from God but often I neglect it. Recently I was confronted by a friend with a harsh accusation which has caused me to reflect seriously on her words. I had known of something which was painful for her when she learned about it. She then accused me of being a "coward and not telling the truth". I have weighed those words heavily in my mind. She is right. But not because I didn't divulge a confidence someone else had entrusted to me, but because I have been her friend for many years without sharing God's truth with her in a winsome way. I have asked myself, "How come you are afraid of speaking to others about Christ?" I have some answers:
  1. I'm easily intimidated; especially by very vocal people. I have a
  • fear of failure
  • fear of not knowing what to say
  • fear of stumbling over my words
  • fear of alienating friends
  • fear of offending others
  • fear of ...
My friend spoke to my fears. I have been a coward. I have not told God's truth. And so I have faced my fears this week. I know I have not been trusting the promises of God. I have been allowing Satan to whisper lies into my spirit which have weakened my resolve and my effectiveness as God's child. I decided to ask God to make changes in me. I wrote out a prayer to him yesterday from my repentant, trusting heart. And I already have some confirmation that he will open doors for me to speak if I take time to be with friends. I'm thanking God for an opportunity yesterday and another today to share these verses from Rev. 21 which have led to God's truth being shared as I trusted God to help me know what to say and when to say it. I am experiencing joy today. May my compassionate bravery continue. And may more names be added to the "Lamb's Book of Life" from every nation, tribe, people and language.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoying your Bible Study posts, but appreciate your personal issues and growth that God has already taken you through, and know He will continue to lead and direct you.