Thursday, August 20, 2009

Happy 43rd Anniversary...

John and I joined our lives at Faith Baptist Church in Madison, WI with our families and friends as witness to what we had no reservations about doing. He was 23 and I was 21. He had completed undergrad school and had a teaching contract at Badger High School in Lake Geneva, WI. He would teach speech and be assistant drama coach for a campus which produced 2 major musicals each year. I would continue in school to complete my undergrad degree in obedience to my husband though I had pleaded with him not to insist I return to school. I had been out of school for a year which will be the subject of another blog someday. But John knew he was headed for the pastorate and he felt his wife should have a college degree. How grateful I have been for many years that he wisely encouraged my continuing college education.

August 20, 1966 was a picture perfect day. Our wedding was everything I had dreamed it would be. I have no doubt that I was naive and young but my faith was in God and so was John's so we have weathered the subsequent years of relationship deepening experiences - some blissful, some beneficial (after the fact).

John wrote the vows we memorized and spoke to each other that day. I was proud of him then and I remain proud of him today. Here are the words we spoke from our head and hearts:
John:
Linda, before God and these witnesses, I take thee to be my wedded wife and so covenant as the head of our home to faithfully love and care for you alone through all of life together, to share with you that depth of love that comes through knowing Christ in plenty and in want, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health until death shall separate us or until Christ returns.

Linda:
John, with God and this company in witness, I take thee to be my wedded husband, and so covenant to faithfully love and care for you alone in plenty and in want, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health so long as we both shall live. With confidence and deepest love I commit to you all that I am and have and hope to be till death shall separate us or Christ returns.
John's faithfulness to me and our family has undergirded us with godly strength. Our love was untested but placed trustingly in what has proved worthy of trust. We are blessed.

No comments: