Friday, September 4, 2009

Celebrating Second Son...

Thirty-six years ago, this was the day after Labor Day. We had been invited to a friend's home for a picnic supper that Labor Day. As I enjoyed the bounty of that feast, I thought I might later be sorry for my indulgence. I was 9 days from the due date of baby #2. So as I awakened in the night with an upset tummy, I was sure it was the meal of the night before. But I was mistaken. It was an 8# 12oz perfectly created baby boy deciding to arrive early!!! He was in a hurry to come but we just made it to the hospital for a nurse assisted entrance. I was mentally prepared to love him but when he was placed beside me and I felt him snuggle close, I was irresistibly taken under his spell. That spell remains strong today despite some teen battles he sought to win.

He, too, chose a godly (though non-Norwegian) wife. Together they operate and think "outside the box." They have a heart for reclamation - people, places - e.g. a Detroit neighborhood - and families. And they challenge complacency, materialism and music done poorly. It's refreshing to be in conversation with them because you are sure to be queried if you seem to be thinking from a stale point of view. They have views not often expressed in American church pews these days. But hearing how they and their friends are grappling with life leads me to think they are people who are making a difference in this world. I'm thankful to have a son who chooses to swim upstream.

So as I rejoice on this son's birthday in God's gift to me through him, I pray that God will continue to be his hope.
Psalm 71: 5-8
For you have been my hope, O Sovereign Lord,
my confidence since my youth.
From birth I have relied on you;
you brought me forth from my mother's womb.
I will ever praise you.
I have become like a portent to many,
but you are my strong refuge.
My mouth is filled with your praise,
declaring your splendor all day long.


Happy Birthday, Son James

No comments: