Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday Memories Made in Moldova...

Today has been full of activity, fun, conversations and HEAT!

New skirt.
Ever wanted to spend time at an outdoor market of shops densely jammed together and filled with stuff plus people flowing everywhere while the temperature is in the high 90's?  Well, the girls we sponsor, a translator and I had that privilege this morning.  And it allowed the 3 girls to all find an outfit or more for their upcoming school year. 
Modeling a new dress while wearing bowling shoes...

Malldova ground level...
But we were all ready for cooler space by lunch time so went to the food court at Malldova.  The other sponsor still in Moldova had his twin boys along for the day also.  We girls had lunch by ourselves and joined the boys for about an hour of bowling - also at the mall. That was a better choice than the outdoor amusement park where we would have been scorching for certain.
Nearly ready to bowl...
Eager to roll this ball...
1st time to bowl and found it fun....
Oh, to have this guy's energy...
1st game..

View from 4th level of Malldova Bowling Alley...

We headed back to the team house around 4:45pm and I was able to have a one-on-one conversation with one gal. That was a great time of catching up with her life. She has a very difficult housing situation - living at a friend's house which is only available until Sept. - and not knowing what she'll do then.  Fortunately, CERI has seen the need of several girls and is renting a 3 bedroom apartment for her and 2 others.  I had learned of this since I've been here and had been encouraged to promote this idea with our girl.  It was feared she may not relish the guidelines included in the arrangement but when I talked to her about it today, she said she would comply with everything that CERI required.  She heard about the possibility of this offer but hadn't heard that it was definite.  As soon as she learned it was a definite option, she said,  "My answer is positive!" The apartment will be available immediately and I may get to go there with her tomorrow.  She is very excited that the apartment has 3 bedrooms as she told me she's never had a bedroom to herself. 

Sharing friendship with new friends...
After a delicious dinner, I was driven to the camp in order to connect with the 2 gals from China whom I met last week.  They are university students in a program to volunteer at camps where vulnerable children are spending time.  They were excited to see me.  We spent 2 hours sharing our lives in conversation.  I told them about Gloria, the gal from Shanghai whom I met last year.  Gloria had sent me her testimony including photos from her experience in Moldova last summer where she committed her life to Christ.  She had also told me that I could share her story with anyone who might be interested in it.  I took my computer with me this evening.  Before ending our conversation, I asked if these gals would like to see and read Gloria's story.  They replied, "Certainly!"  So I fired up my computer and we went through her story.  These gals are very new to conversation about Christianity.  They know some Christians but have not had conversations with any previously.  They had lots of basic questions.  They feel they want to study and read more things and make a decision about whether or not to embrace Christianity when they return to China.  I had other items with me and they wanted all the pamphlets, books and info I had.  Neither had a Bible so I gave them mine.  It is a Bible I travel with and is quite new.  They were very honored to receive such a special gift they told me.  
John 7: 37b-38
What a treasured time to share Biblical truth with 2 sweet girls so far from home.  I also told these girls about another Chinese gal I had met at Laity Lodge.  That gal told me that the verse which helped her decide to become a Christian was 
John 7:37b - 38
“Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”

I had several Max Lucado daily scripture portions in a desk top flip item which I gave these gals. The title of that desk item is COME THIRSTY. I hadn't noticed that until I gave them to the gals.

So it's been a full and awesome day. The heat has attempted to wilt us but we are not letting it even though I miss AC in the team house and CERI vehicles.  Tomorrow is supposed to be over 100 degrees and as we wing our way toward home on Wednesday, the temps are due to drop into a refreshing zone.  

Expecting another full day with girls and packing tomorrow.  Thanks for your prayers.  God is at work.

No comments: