Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11 Reflection...

As I've been reading articles today which share memories of 9/11, I've wondered if there was something relevant I could share also.

Before I attempted to put something into words for this blog, however, I decided to take care of an important item for a meeting I will chair today at 6:00 PM - the agenda for that meeting.

I am the Missions Director at my church.  A meeting will take place this evening of the Missions Council and this group of people will consider ways for our local congregation to continue international involvement in 2013.

I began the agenda as usual with a scripture which includes mention of God's concern "for the nations."  

Psalm 86: 9
"...All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, O Lord; they will bring glory to your name..."

As I continued to look at this Psalm which is a prayer of King David, I decided to include verse 10.

Psalm 86: 9-10
"...All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, O Lord; they will bring glory to your name.  For you are great and do marvelous deeds; you alone are God..."

And as I continued to observe this Psalm, I decided to include verse 11 as well.

Psalm 86: 9-11
"...All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, O Lord; they will bring glory to your name.  For you are great and do marvelous deeds; you alone are God.  Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name..."

As I typed these verses onto the page for the agenda, I noticed what I had just done.  I had selected verses 9-11 of a fervent prayer of David - the man after God's heart.

I decided these verses are my 9/11 thought for this year.   And so many things in these verses are God's thoughts for the nations.
  • All the nations will come and worship before Him
  • they will bring glory to the Lord's name
  • the Lord is great
  • the Lord has done marvelous deeds
  • the Lord alone is God
  • the Lord will teach me his ways
  • we can walk in his truth
  • we can receive an undivided heart
  • we can fear/reverence the Lord's name

Today I am making this my prayer:
Dear Lord, Teach me your way and I will walk in your truth.  Give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. And continue to bring all nations to yourself to worship you and bring you glory.  For you alone are God and do marvelous deeds. Your grateful follower, Linda

No comments: