Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pumpkin Pie... Best recipe!!!

A scene I photographed on Nov. 14, 2009.  This is found along the Frio River in Echo Valley on the property of the Foundations for Laity Renewal near Leakey, TX.
The above photo has nothing to do with this post but it is 
my tribute to this time of year.  
Just want this beauty to be seen as each person reads this blog. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Recently, friends were invited so lunch would include pumpkin pie.  When fall is in the air, it just seems to be the most appropriate dessert for special friends as well as family.
So I decided to photograph and chronicle the process...
All items gathered to make our family's favorite pumpkin pie.
The recipe my family uses came from my mother.  I do not know where she got the recipe but when baked, it is by far the best pumpkin pie ever created!  Her theory was that the secret to great tasting pumpkin pie is to limit the amount of ginger in the mix.  Her recipe used 1/4 teaspoon of ginger.

But first comes the crust:
For this pie, I used a crust recipe I got from my sister, Barb.  She is an expert pie baker and has a "never fail" recipe which I recommend as well.


For years, I rolled my crust on a bare counter or table but a number of years ago, I discovered that the rolling out process can be much more consistently successful if a cloth covered board is used so that is now a staple in my kitchen.
Cloth covered board making pie crust rolling relatively easy.

Crust fitted into 9" pie pan
Crust trimmed within 1" of edge
Edge folded under with crimping partially completed.
Crust ready for pumpkin pie batter.
All ingredients placed into blender and mixed for several minutes - until smoothly blended.
Poured into prepared, unbaked crust.
Placed into preheated oven.

An hour later this will be the fragrant scene in your oven...
Tea kettle ready; pie deliciously tempting...
Our friends cancelled due to illness so the pie is now in our freezer.  We have a son and his family arriving in about 10 days so we'll share this pie during their visit - providing we don't decide to enjoy it before that.

Just wanted you to see the steps and final results of an afternoon's pumpkin pie baking project.

1 comment:

Marge B. said...

It's been some time since I've read your blog.
I've enjoyed catching up on your entries.

Autumn has always been my favorite season of the year. I love the picture you took in Echo Valley. Christopher would be impressed with your photography skills! The beauty of nature can only be credited to our Creator.

Yes, I agree, mom's Pumpkin Pie recipe has to be THE best ever!
I've recently had a craving for it, so made a pie the other day. I cheated & bought a ready made pie crust, which I'm sure mom never did. It turned out really yummy...only wish you'd been here to share it with!

Thanks for the memories,
Love Marge