Thursday, October 24, 2013

4. Job Search Begins in Estes Park, CO,,, June 1964

Yesterday's post:
The story of my summer in Estes Park continues..
I concluded my last "chapter" with these words:
But a new day meant that job search must begin.  Somehow we got dressed and headed back toward town with plans to find a job.  
Our hopes were high...
******************
Our hopes were high.  We were eager to get started as we felt sure there would be a job somewhere in that bustling tourist town.

One of the first things we wanted to do that day, however, was to find the Post Office.  We had not yet any way to inform our parents of our progress so far.  We had not made any calls to them since we left home about a week earlier. 


Mom had told us that she would write to us and send the letter to:  
  • Linda & Kathy Groves
  • General Delivery   
  • Estes Park, CO

    We were very anxious to find the Post Office to see if there was a letter waiting for us there.  We would also explore the possibility of renting a Post Office Box so that we would have an address for those who would write us during the summer.

    Note:  I have just taken a break from writing in order to check a box with files I've had in storage for years.  The files contain the letters I wrote home to my parents since the time I left home and started college.  I have never reread these letters though I searched one time to find some information I was needing.

    I decided to see if there were my letters home from Estes Park and I am delighted to say that they are in the file and I wrote often and in lengthy detail. 

    At some point I will share quotes from these letters but right now it is late and I will conclude with a few items which clarify things I've already shared.

    My memory has been very accurate for the most part.  My letters state that my sister and I paid  $.50 / night to stay in the bunkhouse.  Mom Manford was 90 years old and very spry.

    We began our job search immediately going in and out of businesses with everyone saying the same thing:  
    "We  have all the employees we need right now"
    Some people suggested we return in a few days or told us of another establishment that might need a worker.
    Had a wonderful time in Europe.  Lots of photos posted on blog during that trip.

    I do not know when we received our first letter from home.  I saved those letters also but I have not gotten those located yet.  Mom was very faithful - in writing and in praying. 
    Playground in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower!!!

    I will continue this story but I'm not sure how much more I will write this week.  I am leaving for Europe very early Saturday morning so there are things I'm working on this week to be ready for that trip.  I will be traveling with one of my sons, his wife and their 20 month old son as they do a concert tour in Europe. 

    I hope to be able to blog about our tour.  The Estes Park stories may wait until later.  I'll return to the states on April 17th. 

    Please leave a comment if you are reading these blogs.  It is fun to know if there's an interest in keeping this story going.  
********************
October 24, 2013
I left this story unfinished.  It has been often in my thoughts to pick it back up but other things have taken precedence.  The time has come to go further with my experience and my memories.  I am having fun sharing this story.  

More detail tomorrow.

1 comment:

Linda Worden said...

Again Joyce sends me an email note:

"Well, dear Linda, surely you know how MUCH I am ejoying these! Have fun in Europe!

Love you,
Joyce