Saturday, April 21, 2012

Heading Home From Zurich...

Breakfast in Dudingen...  Still overcast and rainy...
I arrived home safely around
1 AM on the 18th.  I had been traveling for about 22 hours - 4 planes, 5 airports.  All went smoothly and home was a welcome sight - especially the man with whom I've shared over 45 years of married life.

I have taken care of some basics - sleep, bookkeeping, grocery shopping and will now post a final blog to share the last photos and stories of my wonderful month in Europe as Tour Nanny.
Amazing fish in the lobby of the Renaissance Hotel in Zurich...  That was my destination after Earl, the drummer had been taken to the airport for his return flight to Berlin, Germany.
Sharing the excitement with Cozzie also...


"Wish I could get in the water with the fish.  Mama?  Papa?..."
"Yeah!!!  Walking on the wall around the fish pond!"

Watching the trains from the window in Grandma Lee's hotel room.
Last moment of togetherness is coming.  Must have hugs and photos...
Love these guys...
Mama catches some great smiles....

We're taking our time before the last Good-bye....
Papa loves his boy...
Treasured times for a whole month....
It was noon in Zurich when we decided the time had come to say Good-bye.  Son James and his family had a long drive ahead of them.  They would continue from Zurich to Prague where they would return the rental van, spend the night and fly back to Detroit from there.

I had a flight to the states from Zurich and would spend the night there before my return.  Having my "last" hugs, kisses and photos wasn't so easy but it was precious.  It had been a wonderful month together.  Lots of great memories have been made. 

My son left me with instructions to enjoy myself at the hotel.  Eat what I wanted, have dessert and put the cost on his generous send-off.  Since it was cool and rainy outside, I spent most of the afternoon in the hotel reading and enjoying a little BBC TV. 
Bouquets of white and green asparagus...  locally grown vegetable delight!
 The hotel had a Thai restaurant with an interesting display at the entrance.  I didn't stay and eat there but I did get a photo of the white and green asparagus which is currently in season in Switzerland.  We had eaten some the day before in Dudingen.
Such delicious molten chocolate within this delicacy...
I had light fare at another restaurant option in the hotel for supper and decided to take my son's advice to "have dessert" when one of the options included molten chocolate on the inside of a delicate crust.  It was very delicious and I wasn't sorry for yielding to my son's suggestion.

All went smoothly as I was shuttled to the airport the morning of the 17th. 

Guess what!!!  The skies had cleared, the sun was shining and I saw mountain tops.  My best view was after take-off as we climbed above what clouds were still in the area and saw gorgeous mountains all around.  My camera was in the overhead compartment so no photos were taken.

I had a comfortable trip home - some sleep, some reading, some TV movie viewing...

I am very grateful that all went well for this full and fun month of travel and team work.  It is not a small thing that there were not accidents on the roads or troubles with the vehicle. Thanks to God for answering prayers and guiding us throughout the days of this tour.  It was very special and I'm very grateful that I could be part of the tour and the lives of my child and his family.

I have plans to be in Detroit the end of May while MBD goes to Australia.  Will probably post more Granny Nanny blogs at that time.

Thanks for praying and following this European journey I've had.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing about your wonderful adventures! It seems like you had a great time with the little guy. I'm glad you get to spend that special time with him. And I'm glad to know you are back home safe and sound.