Friday, June 26, 2015

Day Camp Friday - Forgiveness Then & Now...

This has been an absolutely amazing last day of camp and the activities that followed.  If it weren't already so late at night, I would give more details about our day but a few comments and lots of photos will have to suffice for now.  The pictures will mostly speak for themselves.

For the Bible lesson today, the scripture passage was the story of Joseph as he reveals himself to his brothers who have not seen him for many years after they sold him into slavery in Egypt and he has this to say to them:

Genesis 45:5(NIV)

And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you.

Genesis 50:19-21(NIV)

19 But Joseph said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? 20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. 21 So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.” And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.
We talked to the children about forgiveness and how difficult it can be but how freeing and righteous it is when we trust God with the plan He has for our lives.
Camp gets under way with a full tent to sing...

Then the translators share the Bible passage with costumed characters miming the action...
Lunch - cheese placintas today...
One of the things we have emphasized is the memorizing of a Bible verse each day.  We have had little prizes during the week as children recited their memorized verses.  But the rewards were somewhat ramped up today - especially for being able to say 5 daily verses plus John 3:16.  During the lunch hour, many children were cramming and reciting so I have captured some of that action.
One of John's boys receives a pair of sunglasses...
These boys are helping each other.  Boy on left has the half sheet with all verses.  
Boys huddle at window where all verses are posted...
Daniel, John's translator, listens to the recitations...  Yeah for our language support!!!
Alexei also listens as children quote memorized scripture...
Girls conquering John 3:16...
More prizes awarded...
Maria whom we formerly sponsored joined us today...
Sarah had precious little girls...

 Following lunch hour, we headed to activity rotations...
More string action...



Water balloons....  Short life, however...
Crafts...
 And all too soon it was 2:45 and time to gather for the final large group time.  While children had their attention on singing and a final Adam Raccoon story, team members got the bags of gifts staged where the small groups would gather for their final moments.
Filling the tent for a last time...
Singing leaders from the audience...
 And there are no photos of the most important thing that happened this week because I didn't know until we were having dinner as a team with our support cast this evening that something  life changing had happened in that final group session.  Here is how it happened.  Each day we used a projected Adam Raccoon story just before lunch.  There are 8 of those stories which each have a different Biblical value in them.  The story titled ADAM RACCOON AT FOREVER FALLS is a parable which includes the sacrifice of a life for the saving of another - that of Adam Raccoon, the disobedient character always somehow rescued by King Arron.  I was planning to use that story during our scheduled segment today.  When my translator - who had translated all 8 stories from scripts I sent before we arrived - asked which story we would use today, I told her FOREVER FALLS.  She said, "Let's do something special today. Let's have 2 stories."  So I said, "OK."  We decided to start with AR AND THE FLYING MACHINE.  When that was concluded, Elena said, "I don't think we have time for the second one.  It's time for lunch."  My heart sank because I really wanted FOREVER FALLS to be the last story we used for the children but off to lunch we all went.

And in the midst of the afternoon activities, a thought came to me.  Let's have FOREVER FALLS in the final gathering and then it really will be nearly the last thing which the children will remember. And then I had another thought.  Why don't I ask Sergio, the missionary pastor who lives in the home hosting the camp, if he would speak to the children following the presentation of the story.  He had told me earlier in the week that he was available and willing should I want him to do something during the week.  I found him, explained the story and its likeness to the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross and gave him the script so he would know the story and perhaps tie it to his comments.  He readily agreed to speak to the children.

So, the children gathered.  Songs were sung including HAPPY BIRTHDAY for 3 children, ADAM RACCOON AT FOREVER FALLS was projected with a translator reading the script and then Sergio spoke.  I had no idea what he said.  He concluded his remarks, had the children stand and turned to me to say he was going to pray.  I thanked him.  As he concluded, I suggested he tell the children about future things at his home which they were invited to attend.  Again he spoke to the children but I did not know what he said.

Following his comments, I dismissed everyone to small groups.  Children received gifts then an ice cream treat and were on their way home after many lingering hugs.
Deanna shares the photo albums etc. with her sweet girls who loved her dearly.
Mark's group has their last gathering...
Our team packed our things leaving much behind for the mission family.  The tent was taken down, packed into our bus and we formed a circle to share thanks with the missionary family before heading back to the team house to prepare for supper at La TaiFas.  My camera battery died so I have no photo of that element of our day.
I sat across from Sergio and Veranica, the missionary couple, at the restaurant.
While having conversation, I asked Sergio if there had been any response from the children when he spoke to them.  I asked him what he said to them.  Catea, the Moldova CERI director, was sitting next to me and translated.  He then told us that he had told them of the sacrifice of Jesus which was similar to the sacrifice of King Arron for Adam Raccoon. And that he had explained the plan of salvation - the need for repentance and forgiveness and then asked those who wanted to repent (word used here meaning to become a Christian)  to stand.  He and his wife, who also was present at the time at camp, estimated that all but about 5 children stood.   His prayer leading them in the sinner's prayer as they received forgiveness of their sin and life everlasting.  My eyes welled with emotion as I sat in humble gratitude and immense joy for what I had just learned.  I had not known until that moment what had taken place as camp concluded but how grateful I was for how things had unfolded throughout the day. I knew that God had orchestrated something huge which came in His way, His time and through his ambassadors.  I was and continue to be filled with joy that I can share this news. So many prayers have been answered.

There were others whose tears came as they heard this report.  Veranica shared her deep joy. On the first day of our camp, we introduced John 3:16 as a theme verse for the week which I hoped many would memorize.  I asked how many already had the verse memorized.  One hand went up.  The hand was that of Sergio and Veranica's 5 or 6 year old son.  I learned tonight that Veranica has been praying that many in their community would someday be memorizing scripture.

Team and translators....

Worden four...  Photo tradition continues...
There's more I could write but it's really late over here and I must get some sleep but how could I not share this news of God's faithfulness.

Sergio will be following up with all these children.  He knows that many of them may have gone home to parents that will not be happy with their decision because he was in that position as a young teen himself.  He is committed to the community and will be faithful to the Lord's work there.

Tomorrow will be a fun day.  Update about that after it happens.

My heart is so full of joy.  I will sleep well.

1 comment:

Marge said...

How exciting to hear of God's work in the tender hearts of these precious children! His Word is living & powerful!

"My Word, which comes from my mouth, is like the rain and snow. It will not come to me without results. It will accomplish whatever I want and achieve whatever I send it to do." Isaiah 55:11

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants." Deuteronomy 32:2

How encouraging to know of Sergio's strong faith and commitment to his community.
God is indeed answering ALL of our prayers!! All praise to Him!

Rejoicing with you,
Marge