Saturday, November 27, 2010

Reflecting on Psalm 19...

The Daily Reflection today at The High Calling website, is a helpful discussion of Psalm 19.

Psalm 19: 1-4
The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.
There is no speech or language
where their voice is not heard.
Their voice goes out into all the earth, 
their words to the ends of the world. 

I memorized this Psalm when I was 10 years old.  I knew it was special then but I certainly didn't comprehend the loving message of these verses.  This morning as I read this passage, I found my voice cracking and tears beginning to well in my eyes.  These words spoke of such tender love from a wise heavenly Father who does not wish for anyone to perish.  His redemption plan which requires each individual's acceptance of it, is spoken into hearts through words shared person to person but also by the heavens and skies which proclaim all day and night in all languages with a voice all can hear and understand.  Somehow the knowledge of that kindness came to me with new power this morning.  We are surrounded by a physical world whose voice declares the glory of God and proclaims the work of his hands. 

How can anyone miss his love, his care, his truth, his plan...?  

The chapter ends with this prayer of David, the author of this Psalm. 

Psalm 19: 14
May the words of my mouth and the
meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O Lord, my Rock and
my Redeemer.

My prayer echoes these words today.

No comments: